Monday, June 9, 2008

Cheesy Baked Chard with Vidalia Onions

Photobucket
Swiss Chaarddd me matey. Pre-bake.

Is it just me, or do some words in the English language just BEG to be spoken with a pirate accent?
Say it with me!
Swiss Chaaaarghdt.

I am always on the lookout for palatable ways to incorporate leafy green vegetables into my diet, and this little gem has made its way into my oven twice in the past week alone. I started out with a simple recipe for gratineed Swiss chard from "Eating by Color" by Williams-Sonoma , but one thing lead to another and before I knew it I had dressed it up in my love.
My love being Vidalia onions ,Parmesan cheese,nutmeg and pepper flakes.
mmm.

You could of course use a different type of onion.
Vidalias are a sweet onion owing thier flavor to a good southern upbringing in a specific region of Georgia with soil low in sulphur.
With its coy demeanor, and southern charm a good Vidalia can keep a potentially bitter chard in check.
After purchasing a box last week I have been scarfing them up like they are going out of style. And
at the rate things are going, they just might be.

This recipe makes a tasty side dish or toss it with olive oil and pasta for a Delicious and healthy main.


Cheesy Swiss Chard with Vidalia Onions


  • 1 bunch Swiss chard
  • 1 large onion Vidalia or otherwise
  • 1 large clove garlic (or two small)
  • small hand full of red pepper flakes (roughly 1/2 tbl)
  • 1/2 cup-ish parm cheesy
  • pinch nutmeg (roughly 1 tsp)
  • 1 cap full of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbl olive oil (to taste)
  • butter (to taste)


*one small baking dish. (I used a nine inch oval. A bigger one will do but, as it will leave a thinner layer of chard be sure to reduce the baking time.


Be sure to rinse the chard thoroughly.

Chop the chard horizontally discarding the thick red stems.
Steam the chard with a few inches of water in the bottom of a pot until it wilts
and then drain off the water.
This will make it a little less bitter.

In the meantime, saute the onion and garlic.

Sprinkle with the apple cider vinegar and pinch or two of nutmeg.
Toss with olive oil then the parm and pepper flakes.
Salt ad pepper.
Add some more cheese on top and dot with a few slices of butter.
I also like to stuff the corners of the baking dish with extra parm in order to get a nice parm crust.

Bake in a 350 F oven for about 10 minutes till cheese has melted and the top is lightly browned.

eat em up yum yum.

No comments: