Friday, November 9, 2007

Red October - almost. Red Pear and Gorgonzola Risotto with Chicken

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Fall got stuck in some traffic this year.
Temperatures are just starting to drop and the leaves have been kind of lazy getting undressed for winter. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining,but my eyes have been hungry for fall color and this meal hits the spot.
Coupling red pears with a dusty sage coated risotto this dish packs a nice
one-two punch that knocked my color craving right in the kisser.

Always on the hunt for a good grab and pack snack I can eat between classes red pears materialized on my radar sometime last month like Red October.

Growing up with green and brown pears my curiosity was peaked.
Its worth noting they are a little more soft with a sweet unyielding paper-white flesh.

This recipe came by way of Epicurious, the component of Gourmet magazine. The original recipe would make a great vegetarian meal, but as a proud omnivore I used chicken stock in place of the veggie/wine mix along with a few slices of chicken breast.

Below I paraphrase and add my substitutions. Follow the above link to the original.

Red Pear and Gorgonzola Rissoto with chicken


  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 chicken breasts baked and shreded
  • 2 tbls olive oil
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
  • 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 2 ounces)
  • 1 red pear very thinly sliced


Simmer rice in olive oil untill it is translucent.
Add in chicken stock reserving a 1/2 cup.
Cook uncovered roughly 15 minutes adding reserved liquid as needed.
At the finish mix in the pear, chicken and cheese allowing it all the heat through thoroughly.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: